Annoyed with USA

My girlfriend is annoyed with USA timekeeping. More particularly with the way Sunday is the first day of the week in the Gnome calendar applet that shows up when you click on the time applet. After some searching I am unable to find how to change that short of changing the source code.

Help me, lazyweb!

Edit: yes it was meant to be Sunday and not Saturday.

Comments

Tranzistors 9 years, 9 months ago

1. It's Sunday
2. Change system language (Language Support) to Latvian; maybe some other variant of EN will do the trick.
3. What does it has to do with planet.ubuntu.lv

Alberto Milone 9 years, 9 months ago

My locale is en_GB.UTF-8 and Monday is the 1st day of the week.

Adam Sloboda 9 years, 9 months ago

I believe LC_TIME set to corect locale should do it

fatal 9 years, 9 months ago

As adam said, setting LC_TIME properly fixes this...

Here's my locale environment variables for being able to read/write swedish characters and having time/date displayed properly without having to get everything translated into swedish....

gem@amd64:/tmp$ export | grep LC
declare -x LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_TIME="sv_SE.UTF-8"

... don't forget to have the locale you're trying to use generated. (dpkg-reconfigure locales)

K. Ralho 9 years, 9 months ago

^ BULLSHIT!
I'm not saying that your solution isn't a valid one, but are you actually saying that there's no way to modify this instance on Clock? WTF? And you still wonder if * will be the year of Desktop Linux.

Changing the system language is a rather long jump to changing the representation of the date on the system. While technically I could set the LC_TIME to some locale that agrees with my definition of time, there is no way to do that from the right-click menu on the clock, or even from all the items in the System menu.

Adjusting the locale of running applications in a flexible manner is a problem that is quite problematic in *NIX environment. Like, what does a user do if he wants to have all settings of the en_EN, but have "," as the decimal separator, have weeks start on Monday and dates written in ISO format? What if I prefer such transcription of the time that is not in any existing locale (or more likely if I do not really care what locale code has the format type I want)?

It looks like a small problem on the surface, but there is a much bigger problem beneath that.

aim 9 years, 9 months ago

It's a matter of LC_TIME environment variable. just change it to en_GB.UTF-8, for example...

mako 9 years, 9 months ago