Terrorist Airlines

I can't believe I have not bogged about this before. With all that terrorism threat bullshit, wouldn't it be nice if there was an airline that would declare itself to be 'terrorist friendly' - i.e. all passangers are welcome to come on board with just a simple identity check, no security check, no baggage security check, no delays. You can arrive 10 minutes before departure and just fly away. Wouldn't that be nice?

A budget company could do that to spare on airport security fees and high-end airline could do it just to spare your time. All flights could be marked private charter for legal reasons.

Can we please return to a world when I can take a bottle of mineral water and a nail clipper on board with me?

Comments

pburch 10 years, 9 months ago

Please think before blogging....

Reinis 10 years, 9 months ago

Where has your brain gone, if you don't mind me asking?

Kevin Mark 10 years, 9 months ago

I understand what pburch said which reflects the nature of how easily people are added to terrorist watch list for the slightest mention of buzzword. But I think Aigar's language comes from the 'with us or against us' lexicon where if you are not a terrorist, you are 'with us'. And those who are 'with us' are those wanting security theatre to 'feel safe' at all costs including liberty. So in this paradym, anyone else (who wants to keep their freedom and liberty) is by definition 'not with us' and is a terrorist. There is no grey area for the Bush regime and its sheeple. I'd happily sign a waiver to allow me to go on a airplane that allow me to avoid security theater and get somewhere cheaply and fast. Do you really enjoy being treated like a terroist when boarding an airplane and giving up your water bottle?

Patrick Schoenfeld 10 years, 9 months ago

Kevin, IMHO that has not much to do with beeing for or against something. I'm not an US-citizien and I'm deeply scared by those paranoia produced there (whichs swaps over to us and results in gettin' similar here in germany more and more) but you cannot seriously ask for something like that. You must see the fact that *some* us-citiziens are really scared by terrorism and *really* want an enhanced airport security. I can understand them for a certain amount, because what happened on the 11th September 2001 was a very scary event. And what Algarius asks for is an airline where the rights of these persons are disrespected. He seriously asks for discarding their rights in favor of his wishes. The absurdity about it is that he claims that he would like to decide how secure *he* is in a plane, but if it crashes into a building it will not only be his life ending. So there are people that aren't even asked. He is asked. And he can avoid the security things by avoiding to fly. Thats makes the difference.

dsr 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm a US national, and I would welcome this. In every seatback pocket, you could store a steel-mesh glove, the sort that butchers wear to prevent knife cuts.

jef 10 years, 9 months ago

Part of the problem, Patrick, is that "*some* us-citiziens are really scared by terrorism and *really* want an enhanced airport security."
They are scared because our government keeps telling us to be scared and that taking off their shoes, not taking more than 3oz. of liquids, etc is what the government has to do to protect them, when in actuality, all they get is this:

Hiring thousands of unqualified security folks and inventing hundreds of new 'security procedures' isn't making us safer, it's making *some* people *think* they are safer, while the rest of us are just as inconvenienced and still no better off for it.

So I could be added to some mystical 'no fly' list for thinking about flight safety in a critical manner? And should that be so? Police are people that I pay to serve ME. They are my servants, just like they are servants of the rest of society and should behave as such.
I am not talking about *taking* people rights away, but rather people agreeing to keep they rights intact. If agreeing that no person on the flight is checked is a prerequisite of getting on the flight, then all people on the flight have decided to trade the fake TSA security for convenience, service and dignity.

Nathan Dbb 10 years, 9 months ago

The TSA/Security is about
a Genuflection gesture: involving, like prostration, a profession of dependence or helplessness, and therefore very naturally adopted for praying and for worship in general.

It is like "Theater of the Oppressed" in reverse: by acting out the fear, you own the fear and it becomes more real. I doubt that USA would have gone so crazy in politics and war over the past few years without the TSA. The working and upper classes have been forced to partake in this known-effective psychological practice repeatedly.

Airline security is not about making the plane safer. I saw a guy in front of me drop a lighter in with his keys and change on my flight home a few weeks ago (Bush Intercontinental), he just picked it up on the other side of the x-ray machine and nobody noticed.

bo 10 years, 9 months ago

Very selfish of you... think of all of those dead in the attacks and think of the ever recurent threats. You should really think about others rather than just yourself.

Thanks, bo. I would rather think about myself and by myself and not just blindly follow what the leaders say you to do.
9/11 killed less people than traffic accidents kill in New York state every year.
So what, do I have to sacrifice my time, my dignity, my convenience in exchange of the security farce at the airport? 9/11 has impacted the global economy less than the airport security delays that it has caused. Simply add one hour of time wasted per passenger for all people that have flown in an airplane in the last 6.5 years and multiply it by their average hourly salary.

Additional airport checks cost us more than any terrorist act ever could.

Russ 10 years, 9 months ago

Rejoice!

You *can* bring nail clippers and a bottle of water on the plane.

Nail clippers have been allowed for a while, and you can just buy the water in the terminal.

Gernot Hassenpflug 10 years, 9 months ago

Hello Aigars,

That is *so* funny---and I was thinking precisely this myself a few days ago while returning to Japan from Korea. The mind boggles at the amount of crap one has to go through, no matter what official reasons there are. If there was an alternative, I want it. What are terrorists going to do, blow us up. Captain to terrorists: "This plane is filled with people who don't care. Go ahead, do yourselves in, we don't particularly care and neither does the rest of the world. You've chosen the wrong airline to mess with, there are no sheep here". Shortly after, a dozen passengers overwhelm the terrorists and do them in, and eat heartily afterwards.