New camera research

So, I was reading the coverage of the newly announced Canon 650D last week and it so happened that a friend needed a camera, so I sold my old Canon 550D and started looking for a replacement.

For the last few years 95+% of the photos I have taken were with Canon 35mm f/2.0 lens on my Canon 550D, sometimes helped with a bounce&swivel flash. Which is very close to 50mm in full-frame equivalent. So I am looking to continue shooting in a similar way - with a near-50mm prime lens and sometimes with bounce flash.

As a given I have: Canon 35mm f/2.0, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon Speedlite 430EX II (bounce&swivel flash) and a budget of around 1k USD.

It is a fun time to be looking around for a new camera body, so I found that I have many interesting options:

Option 1: safe bet. Wait a bit and get the new Canon 650D body and continue shooting with the 35mm and the Canon flash. Pros: safe, new tech, good video. Cons: rather bulky and heavy, boring.

Option 2: old school. Get a used Canon 5D Mark II body that pros are selling off to buy their Mark III and then start taking photos with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens and the Canon flash. Sell Canon 35mm f/2.0 to cover the price difference between bodies. Pros: full frame, higher resolution, huge viewfinder. Cons: very heavy and bulky, evolutionary dead-end, used, bad corner performance even with best lenses.

Option 3: new wave. Sell the rest of my Canon stuff and buy into one of the new mirrorless cameras. The problem with this approach is that I can not find a mirrorless camera with all of: 18+ Mpix, sharp and fast near-50mm-equivalent prime autofocus lens, bounce&swivel external flash. Pros: light and small, new tech, funky. Cons: lens fragmentation, bad adapters (no AF), bad flashes.

So, basically I am torn three ways. Any advice? Which mirrorless camera system would best match my needs?

P.S. Due to work issues and the long distance, I am *not* attending this years Debconf.
P.P.S. To keep this slightly more on-topic - how is the RAW files support on Linux for the new crop of the mirrorless cameras?

Comments

Aigars Mahinovs: New camera research | Linux-Suppo 5 years, 2 months ago

[...] source: Go to Source Feed source: http://planet.debian.org/rss20.xml License: The original licenses are retained – [...]

Rūdolfs Mazurs 5 years, 2 months ago

As a Pentax fan, I suggest Pentax K-01 mirrorless (sensor ir 16mp, 1.5x APS-C). The kit lens is 40mm F2.8, but to get proper 50mm equivalent, the cheap/sharp option is 35mm F2.4, my personal favourite is 35mm F2.8 macro.

Elvis Cehajic 5 years, 2 months ago

Option 4: Buy an EOS 650D and the new Canon EF 40mm 1:2,8 STM pancake. This would make Option 1 a little bit less bulky.

Marek 5 years, 2 months ago

Can your budget stretch to a 7D? With a firmware update coming to extend the usability, and wireless flash master mode (so you can have your 430 EX II off-camera and start to learn "strobist" techniques) you get an awesome workhorse of a camera with a tough body...

Phil 5 years, 2 months ago

Panasonic GX1 with the 20mm u4/3rds lens comes pretty close to your mirrorless requirements list. 16Mpixel sensor (which is reported to be excellent), fantastic lens & the GX1 has a hotshoe for an external flash.

Stavros Giannouris 5 years, 2 months ago

I'll start from the end: Unless you're doing a lot of heavy cropping, do you /really/ need 18MP and up? I don't really think so, and since you already have had a DSLR with a few lenses, you should already figured out that it is the lens that makes the picture, not the sensor's resolution.
I jumped from a 400D to a 5D Mark II a couple of months ago, and the above stands: bad lenses remained bad, and good lenses are equally good on both bodies, and apart from when I want to print bigger than A3, I rarely produce jpegs larger than 2000px wide.
It is indeed big and bulky though, so if you really care about size, get the new 650D or go mirorrless. I hear that Canon is introducing a mirorless camera really soon now [canonrumors.com] so you might want to wait a bit for that announcement. It will probably be able to use EF lenses through an adapter, and also Canon's speedlites, thus saving you the trouble of selling and re-buying the stuff you already have.

Angus 5 years, 2 months ago

Samsung Nx200 plus 30mm f2 prime is small and fast. Great prime pancake as well!

Pulled the trigger today for a Canon 650D and Canon 40mm f2.8 ETM :-)

Liz Quilty 5 years, 1 month ago

Just got a 650D myself - Linux hath no raw support, everything is ugly and pink! :/ Hopefully Linux supports it soon

atis 5 years, 1 month ago

I've got Nikon D90 with 50/1.4 and I'm happy with it. When the shutter/sensor will die (probably in year or so), i'll buy some cheaper model, as it will cover all my needs from camera (that's still superior to D90 currently using). It's just not worth to change system once you're used to it.

And wow, Canon is finally getting built-in wireless master in their 7D. I've had it for years.

atis 5 years, 1 month ago

Here you go, if you want something smaller: